Cool evenings call for a curry… Now I am not a pro with curries but this is delicious and I love the Maesri curry pastes. You could easily swap the fish for chicken, slow cooked beef… Ingredients: 500g snapper (or white fish of choice) - cut into large cubes1 tin...
Whipped Feta and Zaatar Twist Loaf
ᛎ Jump to recipe
You all know I am a sucker for my 2 ingredient dough….. I mean I did write a whole cookbook solely on recipes using it so need I say more. Anyway the other day I was watching some random bakery make over show (which hardly happens these days) and some famous baker guy goes into bakeries that are doing it tough and he revamps their store with a new menu and make over. The couple happened to be Lebanese decent and they used this whole concept of feta and zaatar which I mean hello is a classic Arab flavour combo and I though to myself why don’t I make a loaf using the 2 ingredient dough? So that was my long winded way of sharing how this dish came to life. Now go on and make it and let me know what you think.
2 cups self raising flour
1 cup natural creamy Greek yoghurt
180 grams Greek feta
Zest of 1 lemon – approximately 1 tablespoon
Juice of 1 lemon
1 large garlic clove
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon sumac
2 tablespoons zaatar OR dried oregano leaves
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
2 teaspoons chilli flakes
- In a large bowl OR stand mixer with dough attachment, add the self raising flour and Greek yoghurt and mix until well combined into a formed dough. Cover bowl with a tea towel and set aside while we make the filling.
- In a food processor, blitz feta, lemon zest and juice, garlic, pepper, sumac, zaatar or oregano, and olive oil until it forms a smooth paste.
- Pre heat oven at 200C fan forced. Lightly dust your bench top with flour and knead your dough for 5 minutes and form a ball. Place the dough ball on a large sheet of baking paper at this point – it will make transferring to a baking tray a lot easier. We are going to roll this out into a large rectangle. I have found it much easier to roll dough out into this shape but cutting a small X on the centre top of the dough using kitchen scissors – it just makes the dough a bit easier to roll into this shape.
- Roll dough out into a large rectangle as thin and large as you can ensuring this is done on a large sheet of baking paper. Spread the feta and zaatar paste all over the surface of the dough and sprinkle your chopped parsley the surface evenly.
- Roll the dough into a log lengthways. Join the two ends together to make a circle shape. Then twist the circle shape to make it a figure 8. Using your kitchen scissors, cut little 2cm snips along the surface of the dough.
- Slide the baking paper and twist loaf onto a baking tray. Brush the surface of the twist with some olive oil and sprinkle some chilli flakes (optional). Bake for 25 minutes or until slightly golden and dough cooked through.
Serve with a side salad and enjoy.
Tips & Substitutions:
- I have found allowing the dough to rest for and hour or two covered helps rolling the dough out a lot better.
- Dough can be done ahead of time, such as the night before. Simple make and cover with cling wrap and keep in the fridge. Take out of the fridge a couple of hours prior to using it (leave it wrapped in cling wrap).
Did you make this recipe?
I love seeing what you cook! Tag me on Instagram @rossanos.casa
Ciao I’m Marylin:
If you’re a foodie who’s looking for ideas on what to cook, as well as recipes that deliver on flavour, every time, you’re in the right place.
As a recipe developer, cookbook author (and wife and mum to a team of amateur food critics), in my Casa you’ll find delicious inspiration you can use every day.
Popular AF recipes
What better food than seafood. I know a lot of people can be intimidated by cooking seafood but it really isn’t all too hard if you keep the basics easy. This seafood pasta was super easy but boy is this delicious. Ingredients: 500g spaghetti1 large brown onion3...
Chicken and Vegetable Soup
There isn’t anything better than a slow cooker meal and even better when it is a soup full of nutrients. This is my go too soup and it changes all the time because I generally use what veggies I have at hand. Serve with a sprinkle of grated parmesan and you have a...
One Bowl Dinners
This cookbook has 15 one bowl recipes from curries to kofta to stiry frys to a baked risotto. I have made sure each is full of flavour but also super easy to make.
Delicious AF Dinners Cookbook
Meal ideas that will have you trying new recipes and flavours but not stressing out.
1 Dough 10 Recipes Cookbook
My super simple “holy grail” dough recipe along with easy, tasty savoury and sweet winners.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
© Rossano’s Casa 2022
Busy and need instant dinner inspo?
Subscribe to get a free 5-day done-for-you meal plan including a shopping list: