Cool evenings call for a curry… Now I am not a pro with curries but this is delicious and I love the Maesri curry pastes. You could easily swap the fish for chicken, slow cooked beef… Ingredients: 500g snapper (or white fish of choice) - cut into large cubes1 tin...
Spinach and Cheese Fold Overs
ᛎ Jump to recipe
My kids do this weird thing where they will freak out if they see a single herb in a pot of pasta but then on the other hand devour a chunk of spanakopita…. I just love how weird kids are. Anyway here is the recipe and I am not kidding I seem to change things up every time I make it so I have added some tips and suggestions below.
500grams fresh ricotta
500grams frozen spinach, thawed and liquid squeezed well
1 cup finely sliced spring onions
1/2 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tablespoons dried dill
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
100grams crumbled feta cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
375grams filo pastry sheets
150grams salted butter, melted
1-2 tablespoons of sesame seeds/nigella seeds/poppy seeds
- Pre heat oven at 200C fan forced. In a large mixing bowl combine ricotta, spinach (please ensure excess liquid has been squeezed out well), spring onions, parsley, garlic, dill, nutmeg, feta, S&P. Mix well using hands.
- To stuff, take filo pastry out of box and lay on the bench (I like to cover my filo pastry with a damp tea towel to prevent the pastry from cracking and drying out). Take one sheet of filo pastry and butter the whole surface, fold in half lengthways. Place 2-3 tablespoons of spinach and cheese mixture on the bottom centre. Brush the remainder of the surface lightly with more butter and fold pastry over the mixture into a triangle. continue to fold the filo into triangles until you reach the top.
- Place triangles on a lined baking tray and butter the surface. Sprinkle with your choice of sesame seeds, poppy seeds or nigella seeds.
- Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until golden and cooked.
Tips & Substitutions:
- Fresh silverbeet spinach leaves can be used, finely slice 4 cups worth if replacing frozen spinach
- Shredded mozarella and/or cheddar can also be added to this mixture. I would add an additional 1/2 cup
- Fresh thyme could also be added to this mixture, I would add 3 tablespoons of thyme leaves
- Fresh dill could be used to substitute the dried dill. I would replace dried dill amount with 1/3 cup of finely chopped fresh dill
- Puff pastry can be used to substitute filo pastry. Simply cut one sheet of puff into 4 squares, add 2-3 tablespoons of the spinach and cheese mixture in the centre of each square and fold over into a triangle shape. Seal by pressing edges with a fork
- These can be frozen for up to 3 months. Please freeze initially on a lined baking tray for a minimum of 4hours before transferring to a large zip lock bag or container. To cook, simply bake straight from the freezer on a lined baking tray at 200C fan forced for 30-40minutes or until golden and cooked through.
Did you make this recipe?
I love seeing what you cook! Tag me on Instagram @rossanos.casa
Ciao I’m Marylin:
If you’re a foodie who’s looking for ideas on what to cook, as well as recipes that deliver on flavour, every time, you’re in the right place.
As a recipe developer, cookbook author (and wife and mum to a team of amateur food critics), in my Casa you’ll find delicious inspiration you can use every day.
Popular AF recipes
What better food than seafood. I know a lot of people can be intimidated by cooking seafood but it really isn’t all too hard if you keep the basics easy. This seafood pasta was super easy but boy is this delicious. Ingredients: 500g spaghetti1 large brown onion3...
There isn’t anything better than a slow cooker meal and even better when it is a soup full of nutrients. This is my go too soup and it changes all the time because I generally use what veggies I have at hand. Serve with a sprinkle of grated parmesan and you have a...
One Bowl Dinners
This cookbook has 15 one bowl recipes from curries to kofta to stiry frys to a baked risotto. I have made sure each is full of flavour but also super easy to make.
Delicious AF Dinners Cookbook
Meal ideas that will have you trying new recipes and flavours but not stressing out.
1 Dough 10 Recipes Cookbook
My super simple “holy grail” dough recipe along with easy, tasty savoury and sweet winners.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.