Cool evenings call for a curry… Now I am not a pro with curries but this is delicious and I love the Maesri curry pastes. You could easily swap the fish for chicken, slow cooked beef… Ingredients: 500g snapper (or white fish of choice) - cut into large cubes1 tin...
Slow Cooked Sausage & Lentils
ᛎ Jump to recipe
Winter is upon us and that means slow cooker time. I love my slow cooker more than any other appliance because of its practicality, but of course I get how people don’t see what the fuss is about. I think it is one of those things that is amazing if you have all the ingredients ready at hand to just chop, dump and go. Next time you’re out and about grocery shopping remember to eye ball some recipes like this, grab the ingredients and make it. I give you both slow cooker and stove top method options below.
12 pork sausages.
1 large brown onion, finely diced
1 large carrot, finely diced
1 cup finely diced celery
3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon seeded mustard
1 tin (400g) tinned lentils with brine
1 tin (400g) tinned cherry tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon sweet/Hungarian paprika
1/2 cup chicken stock (or dissolve 1 teaspoon stock powder in 1/2 cup water)
Salt, ground black pepper
Stove top Method:
- Place a sauté pan on low heat with olive oil and sweat off onions, carrots and celery for approximately 10 minutes with lid on. Stir in garlic & seeded mustard and cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Pour in lentils/beans (with brine), tinned tomatoes, bay leaves, parsley, thyme, paprika, salt, pepper, stock and add in sausages.
Place lid on and simmer on very low heat for 1 hour.
Slow Cooker Method:
- Sauté onion, carrot, celery with some olive oil for a few minutes. Stir in garlic and seeded mustard, bay leaves, parsley, thyme, and paprika.
- Pour in tin of lentils/beans (with brine), tinned tomatoes, sausages, stock, and season with salt & pepper.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours
- I like to use pork & fennel but chipolatas work amazing here too.
- Serve with boiled rice, mash potato or quinoa.
- If you do not have lentils or do not love them a great substitute is a tin of cannellini beans.
Did you make this recipe?
I love seeing what you cook! Tag me on Instagram @rossanos.casa
Ciao I’m Marylin:
If you’re a foodie who’s looking for ideas on what to cook, as well as recipes that deliver on flavour, every time, you’re in the right place.
As a recipe developer, cookbook author (and wife and mum to a team of amateur food critics), in my Casa you’ll find delicious inspiration you can use every day.
Popular AF recipes
What better food than seafood. I know a lot of people can be intimidated by cooking seafood but it really isn’t all too hard if you keep the basics easy. This seafood pasta was super easy but boy is this delicious. Ingredients: 500g spaghetti1 large brown onion3...
There isn’t anything better than a slow cooker meal and even better when it is a soup full of nutrients. This is my go too soup and it changes all the time because I generally use what veggies I have at hand. Serve with a sprinkle of grated parmesan and you have a...
One Bowl Dinners
This cookbook has 15 one bowl recipes from curries to kofta to stiry frys to a baked risotto. I have made sure each is full of flavour but also super easy to make.
Delicious AF Dinners Cookbook
Meal ideas that will have you trying new recipes and flavours but not stressing out.
1 Dough 10 Recipes Cookbook
My super simple “holy grail” dough recipe along with easy, tasty savoury and sweet winners.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.