Cool evenings call for a curry… Now I am not a pro with curries but this is delicious and I love the Maesri curry pastes. You could easily swap the fish for chicken, slow cooked beef… Ingredients: 500g snapper (or white fish of choice) - cut into large cubes1 tin...
Persian Eggplant Dip (KASHKE BADEMJAN)
My guilty pleasure is Persian food and I always order their green KASHKE BADEMJAN, it is my next favourite dip right after baba ganoush. This dip tastes amazing served warm or cool, alongside some Persian rice (especially my green dill and broad bean rice) with kofta or grilled chicken and some pickled chilli.
ᛎ Jump to recipe
3 large eggplants
1 large brown onion, finely diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Turmeric
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1/4 cup Greek Yoghurt
1 tablespoon bloomed saffron (1/4 teaspoon crushed saffron threads)
1 tablespoon Dried mint leaves, plus extra for garnish (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Walnuts, roughly crushed
- Pre heat oven to 200C fan forced. To bloom saffron, crush saffron threads and place on top of two ice cubes in a small bowl. Set aside and allow ice to melt.
- Cut eggplants lengthways and slice flesh into diamond angles, sprinkle a good pinch of salt over flesh and allow eggplant to stand for 15minutes. Wipe any sweat off the eggplant with a paper towel and drizzle EVOO over the eggplant pieces. Place eggplants flesh side down on a lined baking tray and bake for 35-45minutes or until eggplant is soft and cooked. Allow to cool slightly.
- Place a deep pan on medium low heat with 3 tablespoons of EVOO. Sauté onion until soft and translucent. Stir in garlic and mint and cook for a minute until fragrant. Stir in turmeric and eggplant flesh followed by 1 tablespoon of the bloomed saffron liquid followed by stock. Turn heat to low and place lid on, simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, you can fold in yoghurt to the eggplant mix or you can transfer to a platter and drizzle yoghurt on top (which I prefer). Top with a sprinkle of dried mint, touch more of that saffron liquid, and crushed walnuts.
- Bloomed saffron keeps well in a jar in the fridge for 5 days.
- Extra garnishes such as fresh herbs like parsley, mint, coriander, or spring onions also tastes amazing.
- One tablespoon of tomato paste also tastes amazing to this dish, if you wish to incorporate add in at the same time as the garlic and dried mint.
- This dip can be eaten with bread such as Afhgani, Turkish, Lebanese, or even sourdough.
- Kofta, Persian dill rice and pickled chilli’s are my preferred dishes to serve this dip with.
Did you make this recipe?
I love seeing what you cook! Tag me on Instagram @rossanos.casa
Ciao I’m Marylin:
If you’re a foodie who’s looking for ideas on what to cook, as well as recipes that deliver on flavour, every time, you’re in the right place.
As a recipe developer, cookbook author (and wife and mum to a team of amateur food critics), in my Casa you’ll find delicious inspiration you can use every day.
Popular AF recipes
What better food than seafood. I know a lot of people can be intimidated by cooking seafood but it really isn’t all too hard if you keep the basics easy. This seafood pasta was super easy but boy is this delicious. Ingredients: 500g spaghetti1 large brown onion3...
Chicken and Vegetable Soup
There isn’t anything better than a slow cooker meal and even better when it is a soup full of nutrients. This is my go too soup and it changes all the time because I generally use what veggies I have at hand. Serve with a sprinkle of grated parmesan and you have a...
One Bowl Dinners
This cookbook has 15 one bowl recipes from curries to kofta to stiry frys to a baked risotto. I have made sure each is full of flavour but also super easy to make.
Delicious AF Dinners Cookbook
Meal ideas that will have you trying new recipes and flavours but not stressing out.
1 Dough 10 Recipes Cookbook
My super simple “holy grail” dough recipe along with easy, tasty savoury and sweet winners.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
© Rossano’s Casa 2022
Busy and need instant dinner inspo?
Subscribe to get a free 5-day done-for-you meal plan including a shopping list: