Cool evenings call for a curry… Now I am not a pro with curries but this is delicious and I love the Maesri curry pastes. You could easily swap the fish for chicken, slow cooked beef… Ingredients: 500g snapper (or white fish of choice) - cut into large cubes1 tin...
ᛎ Jump to recipe
If you haven’t made a batch of preserved lemons what are you waiting for?
I have a whole step by step video tutorial over on my YouTube page if you would like to see me talk you through it.
This recipe is really an approximate and more a how to.
- 4-5 large lemons
- 2-3 bay leaves
- black peppercorns
- cooking salt
- sterilised jar
Sterilise your jars (washing them in the dishwasher is fine) – at least 500ml – 1L jars
2. Add 1-2 tablespoons of cooking salt in the base of each jar
3. Wash your lemons very well ensuring there is no wax left on the skin
4. Slice your lemon into wedges.
5. Add cooking salt into a medium bowl and rub salt over each slice of lemon and place into the jar.
6. Add 1-2 bay leaves and 1/2 teaspoon of black peppercorns half way layering the jar as well as the top.
7. Push/compact lemon wedges in jar by using a spoon.
8. Submerge lemon wedges with fresh lemon juice ensuring jar is filled.
9. Place lid on jars, date and place into a dark cupboard.
10. Each day for the first two weeks you will twirl the jar to ensure salt is evenly distributed. After the two weeks, open the jar and top jar with olive oil to prevent any bacteria.
11. Place jar back in the cupboard for at least another 2 weeks (do not twirl/shake the jar) or longer – I like to leave them for 3 months to really tenderise the flesh.
- Preserved lemons can be stored covered in room temp for up to a year.
- When you remove a lemon ensure the remainder of lemons are covered by adding more lemon juice. – Rinse lemon with water prior to using.
- Fabulous to use in: – Marinades – Salad dressings – Casseroles – Stews – Risotto – Dips – Desserts
Did you make this recipe?
I love seeing what you cook! Tag me on Instagram @rossanos.casa
Ciao I’m Marylin:
If you’re a foodie who’s looking for ideas on what to cook, as well as recipes that deliver on flavour, every time, you’re in the right place.
As a recipe developer, cookbook author (and wife and mum to a team of amateur food critics), in my Casa you’ll find delicious inspiration you can use every day.
Popular AF recipes
What better food than seafood. I know a lot of people can be intimidated by cooking seafood but it really isn’t all too hard if you keep the basics easy. This seafood pasta was super easy but boy is this delicious. Ingredients: 500g spaghetti1 large brown onion3...
There isn’t anything better than a slow cooker meal and even better when it is a soup full of nutrients. This is my go too soup and it changes all the time because I generally use what veggies I have at hand. Serve with a sprinkle of grated parmesan and you have a...
One Bowl Dinners
This cookbook has 15 one bowl recipes from curries to kofta to stiry frys to a baked risotto. I have made sure each is full of flavour but also
super easy to make.
Delicious AF Dinners Cookbook
Meal ideas that will have you trying new recipes and flavours but not stressing out.
1 Dough 10 Recipes Cookbook
My super simple “holy grail” dough recipe along with easy, tasty savoury and sweet winners.
Easy to follow recipe,great to have on hand when it’s no longer lemon season , thanks for the recipe xx
Response from Dinner ideas for foodies
so so happy you love it ☺️