Cool evenings call for a curry… Now I am not a pro with curries but this is delicious and I love the Maesri curry pastes. You could easily swap the fish for chicken, slow cooked beef… Ingredients: 500g snapper (or white fish of choice) - cut into large cubes1 tin...
Italian Sausage & broccoli Orecchiette
ᛎ Jump to recipe
This traditional dish is from my Husbands region of Italy were the Nona’s sit in the laneways making these gorgeous ear shaped pasta. It is a simple yet flavourful dish that comes together in no time. It is truly a regular in our household.
500 grams orecchiette pasta
5 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
500 grams Italian sausages, removed from casing
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup chicken stock OR water with 1.5 teaspoons chicken stock powder
5 cups broccoli florets, roughly chopped
Juice of 1/2 lemon
50 grams salted butter
1/2 cup grated pecorino/parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Place a large pot of water to boil. While waiting for water to boil, in a seperate large sauté pan add olive oil on medium heat. Brown off sausage mince, breaking up any lumps.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add garlic, stir for a minute until garlic is fragrant. If you like a bit of heat, you can add some chilli flakes or a finely diced red chilli at this point of the cooking process.
- Add in stock and broccoli, stir and cook with the lid on for approximately 15 minutes, or until broccoli has completely softened. If you prefer broccoli more firm then by all means cook it until broccoli is to your liking.
- Add cracked black pepper. I would avoid adding salt at this point as the sausages and cheese will season the dish quite a bit. Check at the end of the cooking process.
- Start cooking the pasta in salted boiling water so you time the pasta cooking at the same time as the broccoli is cooked.
- Once broccoli is cooked to your liking, add in the lemon juice and 1/2 a ladle of the salted pasta water.
- Drain the pasta and fold through the sauce. Stir in the butter and grated pecorino/parmesan. Taste and if you feel the dish needs more salt add to your liking.
Tips & Substitutions:
- For a vegetarian option leave sausage mince out.
- For a chilli option, add either chilli flakes or a finely diced chilli at the same time as the garlic.
Did you make this recipe?
I love seeing what you cook! Tag me on Instagram @rossanos.casa
Ciao I’m Marylin:
If you’re a foodie who’s looking for ideas on what to cook, as well as recipes that deliver on flavour, every time, you’re in the right place.
As a recipe developer, cookbook author (and wife and mum to a team of amateur food critics), in my Casa you’ll find delicious inspiration you can use every day.
Popular AF recipes
What better food than seafood. I know a lot of people can be intimidated by cooking seafood but it really isn’t all too hard if you keep the basics easy. This seafood pasta was super easy but boy is this delicious. Ingredients: 500g spaghetti1 large brown onion3...
Chicken and Vegetable Soup
There isn’t anything better than a slow cooker meal and even better when it is a soup full of nutrients. This is my go too soup and it changes all the time because I generally use what veggies I have at hand. Serve with a sprinkle of grated parmesan and you have a...
One Bowl Dinners
This cookbook has 15 one bowl recipes from curries to kofta to stiry frys to a baked risotto. I have made sure each is full of flavour but also
super easy to make.
Delicious AF Dinners Cookbook
Meal ideas that will have you trying new recipes and flavours but not stressing out.
1 Dough 10 Recipes Cookbook
My super simple “holy grail” dough recipe along with easy, tasty savoury and sweet winners.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
© Rossano’s Casa 2022
Busy and need instant dinner inspo?
Subscribe to get a free 5-day done-for-you meal plan including a shopping list: