Cool evenings call for a curry… Now I am not a pro with curries but this is delicious and I love the Maesri curry pastes. You could easily swap the fish for chicken, slow cooked beef… Ingredients: 500g snapper (or white fish of choice) - cut into large cubes1 tin...
Brown Rice Chicken Congee Soup
ᛎ Jump to recipe
If there was a hero dish for an immune boosting nutrient bowl it would be this. Now I am aware this is by far a traditional recipe however I am a sucker for brown rice in soup so it had me thinking whether it would taste amazing in congee and I have to say this recipe is in fact that. Amazing. I have had friends test and trail this and had to make it twice because the first batch was gobbled up. I hope you all love it equally.
- 700g chicken thigh, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1.5 teaspoons chicken stock powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice bran oil
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander (stems and leaves separated)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced/julienned fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup sliced spring onion
- 8 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups brown rice – rinsed
- 3 tablespoons cornflour dissolved with 6-8 tablespoons of cold water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1-2 teaspoons ground white pepper
- Coat chicken in cornflour, garlic powder, stock powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Sauté carrots, coriander stems, ginger, spring onion with oil and sesame oil in a large pot for 6-8minutes on medium low until softened.
- Add water and bring to the boil, then lower heat to simmer.
- Add rinse rice and simmer on low heat with lid slightly ajar for 30 minutes over a low heat. You want the rice to be cooked.
- Add raw coated chicken making sure they do not lump together in the soup, and cook for 5-8 minutes on low heat.
- Add cornflour slurry, coriander leaves and season with salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat off and allow soup to stand 15-30 minutes with the lid on prior to serving as the rice will absorb more of the liquid and thicken.
- Serve with extra sesame oil and chilli oil if you would like some heat.
- Keep in a covered airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days, not that it will last that long.
- For a vegetarian option, leave chicken out.
- Additional veggies such as corn, spinach, peas, broccoli (finely diced) is also a fabulous addition.
Did you make this recipe?
I love seeing what you cook! Tag me on Instagram @rossanos.casa
Ciao I’m Marylin:
If you’re a foodie who’s looking for ideas on what to cook, as well as recipes that deliver on flavour, every time, you’re in the right place.
As a recipe developer, cookbook author (and wife and mum to a team of amateur food critics), in my Casa you’ll find delicious inspiration you can use every day.
Popular AF recipes
What better food than seafood. I know a lot of people can be intimidated by cooking seafood but it really isn’t all too hard if you keep the basics easy. This seafood pasta was super easy but boy is this delicious. Ingredients: 500g spaghetti1 large brown onion3...
There isn’t anything better than a slow cooker meal and even better when it is a soup full of nutrients. This is my go too soup and it changes all the time because I generally use what veggies I have at hand. Serve with a sprinkle of grated parmesan and you have a...
One Bowl Dinners
This cookbook has 15 one bowl recipes from curries to kofta to stiry frys to a baked risotto. I have made sure each is full of flavour but also
super easy to make.
Delicious AF Dinners Cookbook
Meal ideas that will have you trying new recipes and flavours but not stressing out.
1 Dough 10 Recipes Cookbook
My super simple “holy grail” dough recipe along with easy, tasty savoury and sweet winners.
Honestly, as a Japanese, I’ve made congees like a million times, but this one was the best! What makes it special is that you season the chicken before mixing it in the rice and you cook the chicken for only a few minutes to keep it tender and moist. Definitely going to make it again!!!!!
Response from Dinner ideas for foodies
Ohhhh that is the best feedback, thank you so much ☺️
I made this delicious congee for my family this weekend, it was so so yum (my husband had 4 bowls). The recipe was easy to follow and made enough for 3 us with a container of leftovers. Will definitely be making again and testing out some different add ins! This one is going to be a staple in my kitchen this winter, thanks
Response from Dinner ideas for foodies
I am so so happy you all loved it ☺️