If you live in Sydney (and probably other states in Oz) you probably have been to markets, fairs/events and had a gözleme. They are the BEST! These savoury Turkish stuffed flat bread fold overs are so delicious and I thought I would make a super easy and delicious version for you guys to make at home.
4 cups all-purpose plain flour
2 cups natural Greek yoghurt
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups finely chopped spinach. You can use baby/English/silverbeet spinach
1/2 cup finely diced spring onions
1/3 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
3 tablespoons fresh thyme/lemon thyme leaves
1 tablespoon ground sumac
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
300 grams Greek feta, crumbled
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer with dough hook, add the plain flour and greek yoghurt and mix well until dough is formed. Form into a ball, cover and set aside. I find allowing this dough to rest to room temperature allows the dough to roll out easier and tastes softer once cooked.
- In a seperate large bowl combine all filling ingredients; spinach, spring onions, parsley, thyme, sumac, pepper and feta.
- Once dough has rested, portion into 4 equal pieces. Lightly dust your work bench with some flour and roll a portion of dough into a large rectangle, as thin as possible.
- Place some spinach and feta mixture on half the dough and fold the dough over, pressing the edges to lightly seal.
- Place a large non stick pan on medium high heat with 2 tablespoons of rice bran oil. Grill gözleme for approximately 3-5 minutes on each side. Repeat with the remainder of the dough portions.
- Remove from the pan and slice into desired pieces. Serve with fresh lemon wedges and pickled chilli peppers.
- For a gluten free option substitute plain flour for plain gluten free flour.
- For a dairy free option use lactose free plain yoghurt or coconut yoghurt, bare in mind texture and flavour won’t be identical.
- Other filings can be spiced mince beef/lamb, shredded chicken with spiced and veg. I have some great filling options in my cookbook “1 dough 10 recipes” under pide. get a copy HERE