Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Makes: approximately 11 triangles
If there ever were two flavour food combo’s that would get married it would be ricotta and lemon. I have done an amazing pasta here on the blog if you wanted to make it but I thought I would do a desert highlighting these two soul mates. This is not only easy and delicious but also makes the perfect freezer stash, so when you’re after something sweet or someone pops by you can bake them and enjoy fresh out of the oven.
375grams filo pastry
500grams fresh ricotta
Zest of 1 lemon - about 1 tablespoons worth
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 whole egg
1-1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
150grams salted butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2-3 tablespoons almond flakes
1 tablespoon honey
- In a food processor blitz ricotta, lemon zest, brown sugar, egg, cinnamon, and vanilla bean paste until smooth and incorporated.
- Pre heat oven at 200C fan forced.
- Take one sheet of filo pastry and brush the whole surface with melted butter. Take another sheet of filo pastry and place on top of first buttered sheet and butter the whole surface. Fold the two layered filo sheets in half lengthways so you have one long rectangle.
- Place 2-3 tablespoons of the ricotta and lemon paste in the centre bottom half of the pastry sheet. Brush the rest of the surface of filo with melted butter.
- Fold pastry into a triangle over the filling, continue to fold overlapping layers of triangles until you reach the top.
- Place triangles on a lined baking tray (you will need two lined trays for all these to fit on) and brush with some more melted butter. Sprinkle with some ground cinnamon, almond flakes and drizzle some honey.
- Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes of until golden. Enjoy
Tips & Substitutions:
- To freeze these triangles to have at a later date, simply follow all steps up to step 6 ensuring fold overs are topped with butter, cinnamon, almond flakes and honey. Do not bake them prior to freezing. Freeze on a lined baking tray for 4-6hours before transferring to a zip lock bag. To cook, place on a lined baking tray and bake straight from the freezer for 30-45minutes or until cooked through and golden.
- Other toppings you can add are crushed nuts such as hazelnuts, pistachio etc