One thing I love that the Thai’s do is coconut rice! So I thought how can I make a recipe easy by being a one pan wonder as well as delicious. You are definitely going to want to try this, it really is such a gorgeous dish with bold but beautiful flavours that sing and dance together.
1.2 kilograms chicken thigh fillets - skin on is best
3 tablespoons sliced lemongrass - white part only
1 long red chilli, finely diced
1/3 cup finely chopped spring onion
2 tablespoons Brown sugar
2 tablespoons Fish sauce
4 tablespoons Soy sauce
1/3 cup Coriander stems and leaves
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon grated Ginger
Juice of 1 Lime juice
2 cups of Jasmin rice, rinsed well.
400ml coconut milk
1.5 cups of water
1 teaspoon salt
2 kaffir lime leaves
1/4 cup coriander leaves
- In a large bowl, combine lemongrass ingredients a mix well.
- Add chicken to the lemongrass marinade bowl and cover with cling wrap. For best results marinade in the fridge overnight, otherwise for a minimum of 1 hour. Prior to grilling ensure chicken has been taken out of the fridge for 30minutes.
- Pre heat oven at 200C fan forced. Rinse your rice well under cold water until water streams clear. Soak rice in a bowl of cold water for 15minutes.
- While rice is soaking place a large deep cast iron skillet or non stick pan on medium high heat. Sear the chicken pieces skin side down for 5-6 minutes each side and set aside on a plate. Turn cooktop off.
- Drain your soaked rice and place into the same skillet/pan along with coconut milk and water. Scrunch the kaffir leave with you hand and place in the pan with salt and coriander leaves and stir for a minute to incorporate.
- Return the chicken pieces skin side up to the pan, evenly coating the rice. Pour over any remaining marinade over chicken pieces. Place lid or foil on pan and cook in the oven covered for 40minutes. Bake for a further 15minutes uncovered.
- Allow to sit for 15minutes prior to serving.
Tips & Substitutions:
- If you cannot find chicken with skin on, regular thigh fillets are fine. Alternately chicken drumsticks would work.
- For best flavour, marinade chicken overnight in a bowl or large zip lock bag.
- Ensure chicken has been taken out of fridge for 30minute prior to grilling so meat does not toughen.