Ok, let's cut the crap - CLICK HERE to download a PDF printable of this recipe to keep - Enjoy, Marylin xxx
This is another winter warmer soup. I do make this is the slow cooker (surprise surprise) but it can easily be done on the stove top. I am all about wholesome delicious soups in winter.
- 6 Italian pork and fennel sausage, taken out of casings (you can use whatever sausages but use good quality sausages)
- 1L chicken stock
- 1 leek, white part, sliced
- 1 medium brown onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 4 celery battons, finely diced
- 2 medium potatoes, finely diced
- 1/2 red capsicum, finely diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 5 button mushrooms, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- Handful of fresh thyme
- 1 can of four bean bean mix, drained and rinsed well
Method for slow cooker:
- Sauté leek and onion with some olive oil until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1minute until fragrant.
- Add sausage mince and brown breaking up any lumps, roughly.
- Add in all other ingredients, season with black pepper and cook on low for 4-6hours. (please do not add salt as the sausages add enough salt to the soup).
NOTE: If cooking on stove top. Follow same steps but cook on low with lid on for approx 1-1.5hours
- I often add 1/2 cup of brown rice or risoni into the soup , if so I would recommend adding an extra 500ml of stock.
- You can use any sausage flavor you like, chorizo taste amazing in this soup as well.
- Feel free to add or change vegetables to your preference.