You guys know how I feel about a banana bread…. Purely because I have weekly ripe bananas. Not sure if that is pre mediated when I buy them every week or just how quickly they turn brown lately? I was literally due to make a loaf of my banana bread when I jumped on IG to do the usual 30 minute rabbit hole scroll and this recipe came up from Diana and I instantly thought to myself “I have to make this.” So I did the very next day and wow it did not disappoint so much so I had to give it a spot on my blog.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 bananas (1 ½ cups mashed)
1/4 cup rice bran oil (or any neutral oil)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla bean essence
1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Heat your oven to 180C fan forced.
- Line a loaf pan with baking paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Set aside.
- Add the mashed bananas to a large bowl or stand mixer, whisk with the brown sugar and oil until well combined. Add in egg and then the vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients being careful not to over mix.
- Stir in the chocolate chips with a spoon.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. And bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the bread comes out mostly clean. Oven temperatures vary so check at 50 minutes to be safe.
- For a gluten free option substitute plain flour for plain gluten free flour or rice flour.
- Loaf can be sliced and frozen for up to 3 months. Don't forget to apply a layer of baking paper in between slices prior to freezing to avoid them from freezing together.