This is the BEST chicken and leek pie filling and you can't change my mind.
I usually make this mix and fill it in individual pies BUT I thought why not make it that much easier and transform it into a one pan dish... This is how the Filo pie came to life.
1kg chicken thigh fillets - cut into cubes
1 leek - white part, sliced
1 large carrot - finely diced
3 batons celery - finely diced
handful of button mushrooms - diced
3-4 cloves of garlic - crushed
3 tbsp salted butter
3tbsp, plain flour
1 cup chicken stock
2tsp dijon mustard
1/2 cup cream
small handful of fresh parsley & thyme
S&P + olive oil
1packet of filo pastry
100g salted butter - melted
1tbsp Nigella seeds (or poppyseed/sesame)
1. Heat Oil and butter in a sauté pan (cast iron is great) on medium low, add leek and sauté till softened
2. Turn heat to medium high and brown chicken.
3. Reduce heat to low & stir through garlic, carrots, celery, mushrooms and cook on low with lid on till softened.
4. Add flour and cook through on medium heat stirring out taste of flour. Pour in stock and season, bringing it to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for approx. 15minutes with lid off.
5. Once thickened add cream, mustard and fresh herbs and cook on low for a further 10 min with lid off.
6. Allow too cool slightly.
7. Pre heat oven at 200C fan forced. Take a sheet of filo pastry and butter, add another sheet of pastry and butter again. Scrunch and pop on top of pie mix and repeat with whole packet of filo until pie is covered. brush with any left over butter & sprinkle with Nigella (or choice of seeds) and bake for approximately 15-20minutes until golden kissed.
Allow to rest for 10-15minutes before serving.