This is the BEST chicken and leek pie filling and you can't change my mind.
I usually make this mix and fill it in individual pies BUT I thought why not make it that much easier and transform it into a one pan dish... This is how the Filo pie came to life.
1 kilogram chicken thigh fillets - cut into 2cm cubes
1 leek - white part only, sliced
1 large carrot - finely diced
1/3 batons celery - finely diced
100g button mushrooms - sliced
3-4 cloves of garlic - crushed
50 grams salted butter
4 tablespoons plain flour
1 cup chicken stock
2 1/2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1/2 cup thickened cream
3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
375 grams filo pastry
100 grams salted butter - melted
1 tablespoon Nigella seeds (or poppyseed/sesame)
1. Heat Oil and butter in a sauté pan (cast iron is great) on medium low, add leek and sauté for approximately 8 minutes or until softened.
2. Turn heat to medium high and brown all the chicken at once.
3. Reduce heat to low & stir through garlic, carrots, celery, mushrooms and cook on low with lid on until softened, approximately 12 minutes.
4. Take the lid off and add flour and cook through on medium heat stirring out taste of flour. Pour in stock and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat to low and cook for approx. 15minutes with lid off.
5. Once thickened add cream, mustard and fresh herbs and cook on low for a further 10 minutes with lid off.
6. For best results Allow to cool slightly, approximately 20-30 minuets.
7. Pre heat oven at 200C fan forced for 10 minutes. Take one sheet of filo pastry and butter, add another sheet of pastry and butter again. Scrunch and pop on top of pie mix and repeat with whole packet of filo until pie is covered. brush with any left over butter & sprinkle with Nigella (or choice of seeds) and bake for approximately 15-20minutes until golden kissed.
Allow to rest for 10-15minutes before serving unless you're low key desperado like me and cannot wait.