Cooking Time: 60 minutes
Hands up for all the people that have weekly ripe bananas that sit there staring at you with every hope they will be saved and used in a glorious loaf of banana bread?
This is your sign to make a loaf of banana bread that is so delicious one of my followers renamed it Houdini bread, because it vanishes in 24 hours.
3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1/2 cup rice bran oil (or canola/vegetable)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup almond meal
1 cup plain flour
2 teaspoons baking power
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Pre heat oven at 170C fan forced. Butter and line a 26.5cm x 13.5cm bread loaf tin
2. In a large bowl combine all the wet ingredients (eggs, mashed bananas, vanilla bean paste and oil) and whisk/stir well, you could definitely do this in a stand mixer with a whisk attachment however I do this all by hand.
3. Add to the wet ingredients the ground cinnamon, brown sugar, almond meal, salt, and sifted flour and baking powder.
4. Fold the dry ingredients until all ingredients are incorporated. You could whisk this for one minute on low.
5. Pour into the lined baking tin and gently tap out any air bubbles.
6. Bake for approximately 1 hour or until loaf cooked through.
7. Allow to cool, slice and enjoy with a cup of coffee.
- If you have a nut allergy, replace almond meal with more plain flour
- You can add 1/2 cup of choc chips.
- Addition of crushed nuts such as walnuts works amazing. Add 1/4 cup of crushed nuts at the same tip as the dry ingredients.
- For a gluten free option substitute plain flour for plain gluten free flour or rice flour.
- Loaf can be sliced and frozen for up to 3 months. Don't forget to apply a layer of baking paper in between slices prior to freezing to avoid them from freezing together.