• 1kg almond meal
• Eight egg whites – room temperature
• 2tsp baking powder
• 500g caster sugar
• 3tsp almond extract/essence
• 2tsp vanilla bean paste
• 120g almond flakes
• Icing sugar to dust
1. Pre heat oven to 170 degrees C
2. Beat egg whites with a whisk attachment, gradually adding sugar until thick and creamy (don’t fucking over beat it) add your almond extract and vanilla bean paste
3. Combine almond meal & baking powder in a seperate bowl and gradually fold (yeah like you do your clothes) through meringue until incorporated
4. Scoop mixture and roll into little logs (ok not the best term but you get me, mine are bodgy because I let the kids do them so my OCD is a bit defeated) and roll into almonds flakes.
5. Place on a lined baking tray and dust with icing sugar. Bake for 13-15minutes until golden kissed - do not over bake them because no one like a hard pellet amaretti biscuit.
Let them cool and devour with a coffee. Keep in an airtight container if they last. Give some to your neighbour because you’re nice like that!